Larkin Spivey Finding Faith In War
THE AUTHORBOOKSSPEAKINGBLOGCONTACT

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Korean War Devotional

Lt. Bruce Livingstgon in Korea
Following is a daily devotional from my recently published book on the Korean War. It is about a Marine lieutenant named Bruce Livingston. My next post will be more about this great Marine.

Hand Guns

Early in the Korean War the Marines learned some hard lessons about nighttime security. During Chinese attacks men were bayonetted in their sleeping bags, and some were even captured as enemy troops dragged them away like bagged game. Word of this soon filtered back to the Officers’ Basic School at Quantico, Virginia, where Lt. Bruce Livingston was undergoing training. A Korean veteran on staff strongly suggested he obtain a handgun to take to Korea, since officers were only issued the M-1 carbine, a lightweight rifle. Livingston was able to heed this advice when his father gave him a German Luger 9mm pistol he had brought home from World War I. Livingston kept this weapon by his side every night, even though he fortunately never had to fire it from inside a sleeping bag.
One of my weapons instructors once discussed the relative merits of rifles and handguns, pointing out a simple truth: “A rifle is obviously a superior weapon in every way . . . unless you’re fighting in a phone booth.” With a pistol’s small size and simple operation, there is a time and place where it has the advantage.
There have been times I felt as if I were in a phone booth with the wrong weapon—during religious discussions with unchurched friends. Even though I knew the truth of the gospel, I still felt I was losing the theological argument. At such times, I have learned to go to a simpler weapon: my own story. When you tell someone what has happened in your life, there is little room for argument. A brief explanation of what you were like before Jesus and what you are like since Jesus can have a profound effect on someone who puts up barriers. Just keep it simple, keep it short, and— make it heartfelt.

When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. ~1 Corinthians 2:1–2

No comments:

Post a Comment